There are not very many surprises in it for those who are familiar with the National Careers Service. However some issues of tone and emphasis that might be worth a mention are:
- the paper flags the importance of pilot collaborations with Local Enterprise Partnerships (LEPs);
- the targetting of the service towards various key groups is strongly emphasised – although their is also an articulation of the universal reach of the service;
- there is a greater focus on young people than might be expected given the focus of service delivery so far. It is possible that this is part of a move of the NCS into the youth arena. The big question related to this is obviously whether there will be more funding to support this;
- there is less discussion of the phone service that might be expected given the importance of this channel of delivery; and
- there is a lot of discussion of the web channel and particular enthusiasm for social media as a delivery mechanism.
I’d be interested to hear if other people take the same messages out of the document that I do?