I’m Tristram Hooley. I am a careers expert and am available for comment, editorial and opinion pieces, speaking opportunities and other things that interest me.
I’m interested in career, career development, career guidance and career education. I’m also interested in social science research methods, learning technology and plenty more besides. I post about all of this stuff on this blog.
I am Director of Research, The Careers & Enterprise Company; Professor II, Inland Norway University of Applied Sciences; Professor of Career Education at the International Centre for Guidance Studies, University of Derby; Adjunct Professor at the School of Linguistics, Adult and Specialist Education, University of Southern Queensland; a fellow of NICEC; and a Winston Churchill Fellow.
I am a member of the Editorial Board of the British Journal of Guidance and Counselling and have edited one special issue of the British Journal of Guidance and Counselling and two of the NICEC journal. I review for the British Journal of Guidance and Counselling, Industry and Higher Education, the London Review of Education and the Journal of Teaching in International Business.
I am available to supervise or examine doctorates. I am currently supervising doctoral work on:
- Gamification and career guidance
- The career journeys of graduates from Orkney and Shetland
- The role of parents in career education in the Netherlands
- Careers, career guidance and the gig economy
- Career transitions in the construction sector
- Career identity in Norway
Researchers that I have supervised have completed theses on the following subjects.
- Communities that care: an insight into male career patterns in a small neighbourhood
- How teachers conceive their role when working with Generation Z pupils in a technological learning environment
- Youth mentoring across professional settings: a pedagogic approach to social inclusion
I have examined seven doctoral theses (2 PhD and 5 professional doctorates).
You might be interested to see
- My Twitter page as this is where I chat endlessly on the same sort of subjects as appear in this blog.
- My Google Scholar page which has my publications and where they are cited.
- My Amazon author profile where you can buy some of my books.