21st – 22nd September 2016
Enterprise Centre, Derby
The Fellows of NICEC are delighted to be organising this two day conference, which will will provide a mixture of keynotes, debates, seminars and open discussion and will seek to address the big issues relating to the career development field.
To register your interest in attending or presenting at the event please use the Eventbrite booking system. At this stage we are asking people to register initial interest, and more information about the conference including costs and how to submit papers (if you are interested in doing so) will follow.
Rationale for the conference
Twenty years ago Tony Watts and other NICEC colleagues published Rethinking Careers Education and Guidance: Theory, Policy and Practice (Watts, Law, Killeen, Kidd & Hawthorn 1996).
This was unique as a multi-authored text that sought to integrate career education and career guidance and develop a more nuanced educational basis for our work. It featured new career learning theory and methods of measuring impact through learning out comes. It was argued that careers work is inevitably political and an influential framework was developed for understanding this. The role of career theory in one-to-one work was discussed in new ways. It was further recognized that careers work takes place within a range of international socio-cultural contexts and sectors (e.g. private sector, workplace, statutory, schools, colleges, universities, and communities).
Rethinking became a well-thumbed classic for reflective practitioners and a core text on reading lists, but it is increasingly out of date. In this conference we invite you to look forward to the next 20 years and ask:
- What can we still take from Rethinking today?
- What was missing? What voices, theories and contexts were neglected?
- What now appear to be the dead ends, the fertile areas, the new paradigms?
- How do we make sense of our field today?
- Where does the future of the field lie?
The conference will be organised around three main themes as follows.
- The changing context for work and career
- Shifting theories and concepts
- Innovating practice
- Wednesday, 21 September 2016 at 09:30 – Thursday, 22 September 2016 at 17:00 (BST)
- Enterprise Centre – University of Derby, . Bridge Street. Derby, Derbyshire DE1 3LD GB